Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Extra Credit on the Baha'i Faith

Brittany Temple
Mr. Ackerman
PHL-110-104
8 April 2015
Baha'i Education
The video that was shown in a short synopsis was about the followers of the Baha'i faith and the injustice they are exposed to throughout Iran. It told the specific stories of a few people who have lost people to this injustice. People have been captured, arrested, tortured, and murdered because it is thought that the Baha’i people are a threat to the ideals of Iran. The main focus of the film was the Baha'i’ Institute for Higher Education (BIHE). Part of the problems that the Baha’i people had was being cut off from higher education. They were expelled from universities and banned from their libraries. Then the BIHE was formed. Students met together in homes and had classes taught there, as well as online. They were sent materials to study from as well. The authorities in Iran have been known to enter homes and take and destroy these materials, as well as kidnap teachers and students, torture and murder them. Despite this, the BIHE has flourished. There are many Baha’i people still in Iran who continue to work with and learn from BIHE, but there are also Baha’i people in the United States who are safe from persecution. People who are not Baha’is and still value education are a part of the BIHE as well.

When I was watching this video I felt angry. I was appalled to see that there were still places out there that were attacking others with different beliefs to this extent. I realized we see forms of this in the United States as well and I was able to connect on some level with these people. It amazes me that we as a race have come so far in acceptance and tolerance, yet it still seems as if we haven’t progressed at all. To some extent, the video made me feel grateful as well. Grateful that because of my race, gender, belief system, geographical location, I have not been discriminated against. Well, not to this extent. I also felt grateful that I get the opportunity to choose if I want to go to a place of higher learning or not, and I’m not just simply denied. I do see both sides of the situation. I understand how the Iranian officials can see the Baha’i people as a threat to their countries ideals, how they can justify in their minds this kind of ruling, and how this seems like the right thing to do. I just wish that there was something I could do about it right now, and that I could have the ability to talk to these people, to try and change their minds about this. Unfortunately, there are those who are not willing to change themselves. Overall, I feel angry and sad that this is still happening in the world. I hope that once I’ve went through my education, and become wiser, that I can change the world, see that change, and witness tyranny like this end for good.

No comments: